Sunday 3 May 2015

What languages are spoken in Majorca?

Hello everyone!

How are you? Are you benefiting from a three-day weekend? I have the impression that I don’t know what  it means to rest. Ught! I have problem with that. How to “switch off”?? Always when I try to do, I am nervous…I don’t know how to explain it. Now, when I have a three-day weekend I try to do everything in one day. This is madness! Okey, I’m writing at length…


Today, I want to write about  the local dialect spoken in the island, Mallorquín. Mallorquín is a variant from Catalan, the main differences are the pronouns and a few words are other. Locals people will say that the language they speak is Mallorquín. It is noticeable there that natives they form a very nationalistic segment in society who claim mallorquín is a language in itself. Unfortunately, it isn’t! It is almost identical to Catalan! But I don’t doubt that having a dialect for local residents helps to create a common identity and culture. However, nowadays most mallorcans  they speak Catalan because they learn from the same books as children in Catalonia but always they speak both languages Mallorquín and Spanish, who is the only languages which has official status for the whole country.  

Nevertheless, the tourists do not need to worry because a great number of local people are very proficient in English and German too.That’s all for today!

See you later,
Kamila 

Coffee house in Soller :)



No comments:

Post a Comment